I Am a Hummingbird

“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Enjoy today’s post from my wife, Michelle!

My friend Vanessa sent me this video that I fell in love with immediately.   It is such a simple message retold in the style of African storytelling.  Yet, it reminded me of truths that I am learning along my leadership journey with LIFE.  I hope that you are challenged by its profound simplicity!

My Lessons from the Hummingbird

1) Where is my focus?: As I am bombarded by the problems and circumstances of life, I am reminded that my attitudes, thoughts and actions stem from what I am focusing on.  Am I transfixed on a problem – a huge crisis or “fire” in my life – or a solution?  Often I find myself feeling overwhelmed and powerless until I ask myself, “What is within my power to control?”  There is a peace that I find in the solution-finding mode even before the solution becomes reality.

2) Am I walking the walk?:  I know that, like the hummingbird, I am able to inspire and motivate others when I lead by example.  Whether it’s the tone of voice I use with my kids, or how I uplift my husband when I talk about him to my friends, my example can influence others.

3) Who am I listening to?:  When critics attempt to discourage me (telling me that “Your wings are too little, your beak is too small!”), I need to stay focused on my purpose and goals.  Pearl Mesta said, “Those that matter don’t mind and those that mind don’t matter.”

4) Am I living up to my potential?:  Thankfully, God didn’t make everyone with the same talents, gifts or passions.  But, we are all similar in having the opportunity to make the most of what we have.

Coach Wooden says that we can all contribute and we can all strive to reach our personal best.  When I do my best, that is success.  Each of us has a part to play, each of us is important and, by each of us striving for our fullest, God-given potential, we can inspire each other to do the same. And just like the hummingbird with her seemingly insignificant effort, when we combine our potential best, we can create a solution to a problem, a movement, a team unified for a common goal.

I love the lyrics in Nichole Nordeman’s song that say, “I’ve never known a fire that didn’t begin with a flame, every storm will start with just a drop of rain.”  So, when self-doubt creeps in to try to persuade me to think that my effort won’t matter (and I’m sure the hummingbird doubted herself too when she looked at the elephant with his big trunk thinking, “I’m sure he can do a better job carrying water to the fire than I can!), I can remind myself that my effort does matter.

Like the hummingbird, I will do the best I can.

Michelle

This entry was posted in Family, Following, Friends, Fun and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to I Am a Hummingbird

1. Mike Trego says:

Love it!

2. What an encouraging video, thanks for sharing it. Your four points are excellent. When we’re living (not just existing) to fulfill our potential, it’s so much easier to tune out detractors.

3. Larry Wieberdink says:

Thanks so much Michelle—what a touching, encouraging and appropriate story line. Like another song we know with a bit different analogy–“it only takes a spark to get a fire going”. It means a lot to know we are not alone. Thanks so much for being that spark. We too take up the refrain—We will do the best we can.
    Ruth Ann and Larry Wieberdink

4. brunerjr says:

Great post Michelle! Even before I read the part of you quoting John Wooden I was already thinking about something I read from his book Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court. “A Worthwhile Goal – The goal I believe is important is the goal of making the most of your abilities. That goal is within your reach.” Just like the hummingbird 🙂

Everyone can succeed at that:)

5. RhinestoneContessa says:

Great post! This speaks to my heart on so many levels! I watch the hummingbirds in my garden every summer, and they really are remarkable! They Just never give up! One successful goal at a time, and One of Gods truly amazing creatures! As are we! …
    Thanks for the wonderful extended insight!
    “-doing the best that I can…”-Vanessa

Thanks Michelle for the reminder that my talents may be very different than someone else’s, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t do the best I can anyway!!

7. Great post Michelle and what a great lesson! Thank you for being such great examples in leadership!

“God makes three requests of his children: Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have, now.” African American Proverb

8. Keith Whitaker says:

Thanks Michelle,
    One of the hardest things for most of us to realize is, no matter how big or small the action is, if we all do our part we can make a HUGE differance!

“LIFE is Life – Fight for it”

Thanks again,
    Keith Whitaker

9. Jen Ulrich says:

Thanks for sharing this, Michelle! What a simple, yet profound take on life/LIFE. As a stay at home mom, it’s sometimes hard to feel like I make a difference. I don’t have a fancy corporate job connected to all sorts of public accolades and recognition; my sphere of influence sometimes feels so insignificant. I “just” stay home and raise my kids. There are days when I feel like I’m only putting one drop of water on a huge forest fire! But it’s still a noble task, one that God placed on my heart from the beginning, and even if “one drop” sometimes feels like all I’m doing (though in the big picture I know it’s much more!), it’s still something! That’s what I love about the TEAM/LIFE community: we’re each called to fill different roles with different gifts and talents, and if we add up all of our water droplets, we’re a huge body of water–one capable of putting out any fire! 🙂

Yes Jen! A huge body of water is what we are together…making huge ripples! Thanks for heeding God’s call to minister to your husband and kids. What a beautiful example of a woman of strength! Michelle

• Jen Ulrich says:

Thanks, Michelle. I love being able to associate with godly women like you and the other leading ladies! Being able to see what dedication to learning can do for marriages and parenting is truly inspiring!

10. Beth Almestica says:

Wow Michelle! What an incredible story! It’s so moving for me because since birth & growing up I’ve always been told & made to feel insignificant but I always know in my heart that God has a special plan for me & that I’m here for a purpose. I can really relate to the hummingbird being so small (literally haha!) but with God on my side I can do my part to be His hands & feet here on earth. Thank you so much for bringing me & Alvin to the LIFE community & for believing in us that we can in our own little way be a part of something VERY SIGNIFICANT… living intentionally for excellence & making difference in our lives & lives of so many others.

11. Miriam says:

I can totally relate to that feeling of “someone else can do it better.” just discovering the strengths God has blessed me with has empowered me to do more for others! Michelle, you are one person who has helped me discover those things! Thank you!