Motherhood- the BEST Job in the Whole World!

I have to be the luckiest man alive because God picked Michelle to be my wife, my life-long partner and my best friend.  To watch the transformation of her life over the last 5 years has been one of my most joyful experiences to date.  The transformation hasn’t been easy, but the fruit that has come from it is nothing less than divine.  Enjoy this post from my wife Michelle.

My name is “Mommy” and I am a stay-at-home mom.

As I write this, I recall a day in the not-too-distant past that I was slightly embarrassed to admit that.  As I voluntarily left my professional career of being a successful pediatrician, I was often asked, “How can you leave your practice after all those years of schooling and hard work?”  The answer is simple, but the process of me discovering the answer was not.  Before I give you the answer, it’s important to note that I am still on a journey of understanding my calling of “working at home”.

As I grew up and determined to become a doctor, I didn’t pay much attention to domestic roles of learning how to be a wife or mother, or how to manage a household.  Instead, I pursued the accolades of being a doctor and “helping people”.  During medical school, my internship and residency, and the early years of growing my pediatric practice, I didn’t prioritize my family.  Yes, I had a vague understanding that family was important but how I used my time and energy reflected that I valued my career more than my family.  And I knew I was in good company being a “working mom”:  some internet sources quote up to 3/4 of women work outside the home.

At church and in the LIFE community, I started seeing examples of women with a passion and love for their family.  I started envying the joy and peace that these women had as they made homemaking their primary priority.  Even as my heart became burdened with the desire to be home with my husband and kids, I wrestled with quitting my job.  Could being a stay-at-home mom provide me with the same satisfaction I received from work: the respect and status of being a doctor, the paychecks, the applause from family and friends as I seemed to effortlessly balance “boss” and “baby”?  Dorothy Patterson writes:

“Homemaking – being a full-time wife and mother- is not a destructive drought of uselessness but an overflowing oasis of opportunity: it is not a dreary cell to contain one’s talents and skills but a brilliant catalyst to channel creativity and energies into meaningful work.”

God used lots of people and circumstances to redirect my attention – less on myself and my career and, instead, more on my home.  As my heart changed, I grew to desire to become an excellent wife and mother and  to nurture those relationships by investing in them intentionally.  I grew to want to learn how to make my home a place of rest, enjoyment, peace and order for my family.  I slowly began to realize that my principle place of work was at home, as a wife and a mother.  I began to realize that my role of managing the home complimented Matt’s role of leading our family.

The Answer to the Question

The answer to the question of how I could step away from my pediatric career to become a full-time wife and full-time mom is….God.  See, I told you the answer was simple, but not easy!  As I’ve continued to learn a biblical perspective of work and marriage, I’ve realized that homemaking is an important and noble calling in God’s economy.

The gift I received yesterday from our 9-year old daughter is better than a year-end bonus at work or the compliments of satisfied patients.  My daughter gave me a handwritten envelope that was addressed “To the Best Mom in the Universe!”  Inside it read,

“Dear Mom, Thank you for being born so I could be born! I love you sooooooooooooooooooooo [yes, 21 zeroes!] much and I love dad sooooooooooooooooooooo [yes, 21 zeroes!] much too.  I love the way you walk, talk, love, and cook.  You are the best cook I have ever met and you are so loveable and careable.  I love you more than you love me and it’s possible.  A lot of love from, Anna banana”

I have the BEST JOB in the whole world!

I am a stay-at-home mom.

Michelle

This entry was posted in Faith, Family, Freedom, Fun, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Motherhood- the BEST Job in the Whole World!

1. Tim Shey says:

Very good post. In my experience, if children grow up without Godly fathers and mothers, they become confused, selfish and drug/alcohol-abusing adults. True parenting is selfless and Christ-centered–it is all about sacrificial love for their children.

Incredible blog Michelle. Your family are not the only ones that are glad you can stay home. Thank you for that example of a woman who prioritizes her family. It’s hard not to get wrapped up in status and credentials, but your talents far exceed your degree.

3. rascal4life says:

I’ve been waiting for this post 🙂 Thank you so much sharing, Michelle! Even though it’s been a full 3 years since I stepped away from my would-be practice, I still get people that look at me completely cross-eyed. They don’t understand how someone could give up the title of “Doctor” for the title of “Stay at home mom.” I still have to answer the question, “Well, aren’t you going to go back and finish your doctorate? You only had one year left!”

When I made the decision to step away from school in order to stay home with our oldest (then only 3 months old), I had this unshakable feeling that there HAD to be a way it could work out. There HAD to be a way that I could have it all–living a life dedicated to a husband and children, and yet still being able to have a comfortable living space, time with family and friends, an abundance of blessings to pay forward, etc. I didn’t know how it would work out at the time, but I trusted that God would show me the path I needed to take. Once we were introduced to LIFE, we realized we had been offered a map to our path! Michelle, I know without a doubt that God shaped your life into what it is today so that I could look at it as an incredibly relatable example of where our path can take us. All we need to do is follow that path! Thank you (and Matt!) so much for modeling your Christian priorities for all of us!

~Jen Ulrich

4. Penny Tahtinen says:

Michelle,
    I loved you as our pediatrician more then you know. You may not remember all the times we were in to see you but the one memory that holds close to my heart was when Julia was in the hospital and had a seizure right in front of you. I was holding Julia in my arms so scared of what was happening to my baby and you began to cry with me. Thank You for being so wonderful then.
    But now I can say, thank you for being an amazing role model of a wife and mother who now understands what her purpose is in life. I am always so thankful for your smile, hugs and warm thoughts when we talk. Thanks for being a friend. The days of you as our doctor are memories I’ll always have but now I’ll have many memories of time spent together as friends and family!
    Thank You Michelle! And Matt!
    We love you!
    Penny

Penny, I remember that day in the hospital when I was kneeling by you as you held Julia in your arms. I wept with you because there was no need to hide the mother in me! There was no facade of a stoic doctor telling you we were going to do everything we could to help your daughter….Today, I weep when I read your words and praise God for the joy of seeing you with your healthy children, seeing you filled with the anticipation of starting a journey of home schooling! What a grand adventure motherhood is! So thankful to be on this journey with you Penny!

5. Michelle, your example is priceless. And I can tell that your servant heart in building your communities translates back to the home with your family. I pray that some day I can be half as good a mom as you are. Thank you for showing me it’s possible!

P.S:
    PC in 12 months – I heard you loud and clear, I will be chasing you guys down. Thank you both having the courage to leave your professional careers to become professionals in building communities and being stay at home parents. The ripple effect is endless, keep chasing your dreams!

We are in the zone! There are way too many families that need this information, way too many career moms confused about their purpose, way too many women who need to hear the truth of God spoken by example, not hypocrisy. Thanks Kristen for your tireless example.

6. Heather Woods says:

Michelle, the thin threads that lead us to meeting each other and then to a relationship in LIFE are clearly a result of God’s hand (Acts 17:26). As our pediatrician you always made me feel like a competent mother–even when I didn’t feel it! Now as my mentor and an example of a godly, loving woman of strength, you make me feel like I can become a leader and an encourager of the ladies in my groups as well.

To be honest, I was amazed that you were “giving up” all your years of medical school and your practice when you announced that you were leaving the clinic–even though I’m a stay-at-home mom too! Yet I was proud for the courage you showed and excited that you would get to know the joy of being around your kids day in, day out. But truly we are stretched and sanctified by childrearing in a way like nothing else can.

In a culture that glorifies credentials, accolades and materialism, sadly too few women get to learn the blessings and opportunities that abound when you’re pursuing your calling at home, raising the next generation of leaders, ministering to your neighbors, serving your community and being a helpmeet to your husband.

Bless you, Michelle and your amazing family! Your impact on your community and in eternity is growing daily.

Thanks Heather! And, truth be told, you were one of those strong mothers that I watched during my years at the clinic….how you selflessly invested in your children and put aside many opportunities to glorify yourself to love your husband and children. Thanks Heather for your example. I love the boomerang effect of living a Godly life by example!

7. Jammie says:

Amazing!!! Thank you Michelle; for your encouragement, courage, example and truthful, caring heart. I see the Lord in you and am inspired to get closer with Him because of it.

8. Josh Meinel says:

Horray for stay at home moms! Thanks Michelle for sharing.

9. Chris Brady says:

Thanks so much for sharing your story, Michelle! I have no doubt that there is someone who will be encouraged to put his or her family before their professional life through your post.

10. Carole Eldredge says:

Hey Michelle you’ve also “raised” an awesome husband too! – he share’s his blog! And let’s not forget that wife and mom are the oldest professions! So glad you’re my “doctor” now!

11. Harry says:

Hi Michelle, thank you so much for sharing. Thank you for leading by example!

12. Lori Platt says:

Wow. Thanks for this.

13. christo vermeulen says:

Thanks Michelle! I find motherhood one of the best character shaping and revealing jobs on the planet. I often feel humbled that God would trust me with the responsibility of raising His kids.

Also, that peace you saw radiating from other moms? I see it in you.

Christelle

14. Keith & Tracie Whitaker says:

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

Keith & Tracie Whitaker
    “LIFE is Life – Fight for it”

15. Michelle Mielke says:

You are on the right path too Tracie!