Who is the God of Your City?

Have you ever been in a position in life where you asked the question, “Why does God have me here?”  Perhaps you don’t believe that God even exists because why would such a good God allow such awful things to take place on earth.

I personally believe that we have a great God that allows circumstances in our life to teach us things.  I want to share with you a fascinating devotion I was reading this morning from Pete Briscoe.  Please read below.

“Prayer is weakness leaning on omnipotence.” —W. S. Bowd
Aaron Boyd was in way over his head. On a mission trip to Thailand, he and his band, Bluetree, played one night in The Climax Bar, deep in Pattaya’s red-light district. There, they rubbed shoulders with those stuck in the worst of the worst. There, he and his band discovered what can happen when someone “prays in the Spirit,” allowing the Holy Spirit to pray through them, in a way that was natural to them. Aaron remembers:

“Everything you can imagine goes on in that place. You see kids as young as 8, 9, 10, just selling themselves, you know?! You see 60-year-old guys walking down the street with two 13- or 14-year-old girls…”

The band was overwhelmed with grief for what they saw around them. When it was time for them to get up and play, words were hard to find.

At one point I just started singing out. I started singing “Greater things…” something along those lines, almost prophesying over the city… slowly this groove emerged…

The band began to fill in with voices and instruments—praying in the Spirit with music. The Spirit’s words, flowing through them, began to come together in a passionate intimate conversation with God—the Spirit was writing a new song on the spot:

You’re the God of this City
You’re the King of these people
You’re the Lord of this nation
You are

You’re the Light in this darkness
You’re the Hope to the hopeless
You’re the Peace to the restless
You are

… For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City

This song, God of this City, is now sung worldwide. What is the Spirit going to sing in your heart today? Are you listening to what He is going to pray through you?

Holy Spirit, I’m listening. As we walk together today, lead our conversation. Speak to me and pray through me with all kinds of prayer in all situations. Amen.

Greater things are yet to be done in our daily lives.  Greater things are yet to be done in our world no matter what the circumstances.  Join the LIFE personal development and leadership journey to discover your God given potential and start your path to living a life of significance.  God Bless.

Matt

This entry was posted in Faith, Freedom. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Who is the God of Your City?

1. Jim Benedict says:

Wonderful post Matt! We have the tools God provides us at our disposal to help those in our neighborhoods, towns and the world, if we are called but often times we are too busy with our lives to get involved. That is why the LIFE business is such a groundbreaking concept! Get job-optional to pursue your passions, not your obligations!

2. Larry Wieberdink says:

Thanks Matt, the more we lean on the Omnipotent the more potent we become.

Larrry Wieberdink

3. Penny Tahtinen says:

Thanks Matt! Great post! You are doing an amazing job doing what you are doing to reach others. Thanks for reaching out to us and believeing in our potential.
    Penny

4. I so look forward to your posts Matt knowing that I will always be inspired. I had first heard “God of this city” about a year ago and fell in love with the words but hearing how the song came to fruition through your devotion makes it that much more moving. You and Michelle are certainly living a life of significance and bringing many others with you! I just read this quote and thought it was fitting for you both, “Being in front doesn’t make you a leader, bringing others to the front does.” Thank you for being the example of true leadership. God Bless

5. jnkrakow says:

Your blog post could not have come in at a better time. We are facing some unforeseen financial issues at the moment. But it seems that God is never far behind and brings a message to push forward. As this post points out, God works through us in the most mysterious ways. With God in our hearts and in our city, heaven is the limit when we take the leap and start to fly.

God bless,
    Justin

• Jen Ulrich says:

We’re right there with ya, Justin. Each time it happens, I seem to trust Him a little bit more and a little bit quicker with how it’ll turn out. Maybe one day I’ll learn to trust Him *before* hardships occur, instead of trusting in myself to make all of the numbers balance out, and then getting irritated and anxious when they don’t! 🙂

Matt, I have this song printed out on the desk right next to me; it was on the docket for band practice tomorrow and church on Sunday, but it must have gotten nixed at the last minute. I’m bummed I won’t be able to share this story with the group now! Next time it comes up, I’ll have some awesome insight to pass along. I really love that you and Michelle aren’t afraid of the Gospel, and that you realize you can’t separate Him from the other areas in your life. Thanks for the post!

I love weaving Christ into every area of our lives. Before when working as a pharmacist, I couldn’t mention anything. Not even talk to a friend about a great message we heard at church the Sunday before. With the LIFE business we get to live out our faith on daily basis. God Bless you on your journey. Matt

Awesome song!! Just heard it for the first time tonight at a women of faith weekend!!

7. Jason Fredrick says:

Is there any way to share your posts via e-mail?

8. Thank you Matt for your servant leadership. You are such an inspiring leader. You are doing a great deed when you post your blog posts. They are so well thought out and hit home on many different subjects. You are changing many peoples’ lives through this blog. I send as many people to your blog as I can, because I know they can get what they need in one of your posts. Thank you!
    God Bless

9. David Hall says:

Thanks Matt,

I had never heard that story. I’ll use that story and song for missions Sunday next week. I’d been in Pattaya. It is very sad.

Blessings,

Dave Hall

10. Greg Streuly says:

Great Post Matt! And a great song!