Leadership Guru in the Making – Dan Hawkins

Wow, my mentor has grown again!  His leadership blog was selected as one of the top 50 Leadership blogs to follow in 2013!

Most of my 3 readers know that one of the most influential and profound influences in my life is Dan Hawkins.  dan hawkinsI met Dan about 6 years ago when I was introduced to a leadership development project he was spear-heading in the area (we now refer to that as the LIFE business). Dan was 10 years my junior, talked fast and had a lot of posture.  He knew where he was going and he committed his life to follow the examples set forth by LIFE founders George Guzzardo and Orrin Woodward.

I specifically remember a moment when I was questioning my own leadership journey.  Was I doing the right things and was I following the right people?  Dan, with all the conviction and confidence one can have over the phone,  said, “Matt, I have chosen to follow Orrin Woodward because he has always delivered on his promises.  In fact, anything he has ever promised, he has delivered above and beyond that promise.”

I liked his answer.  Up until that time I never committed to anyone but me and I never bought into anyone elses vision except my own.  I was a rascal, alone and frustrated.  But Dan demonstrated humility to follow in the foot steps of someone else who has fruit on the tree.  He willingly set a new path for his life to grow and change and that encouraged me to do the same.

Dan recently shared one of his personal goals for 2013.

One of my goals is to continue to improve my writing and sharing through this [Dan Hawkins Leadership] blog. I believe in the principle Orrin Woodward teaches: “Ideas have consequences.”   The LIFE business and its founders have committed their  lives to bringing better ideas to the world to make a difference.

Now, Dan Hawkins’ leadership blog was selected by Evan Carmichael, from The Entrepreneur Blog, as one of the Top 50 Leadership Blogs to watch in 2013

Today, Dan pursues excellence in the areas that we call the 8F’s and has become a role model for thousands to follow- including me:).  Someday I believe Dan’s story will be written in book form and it will be hard to believe the transformation that has taken place in his life.  I joined Dan a few years in that transformational journey called leadership development and have “hooked my wagon to his train.”  My hope is to spread the “Dan Hawkins phenomena” and the cause for “leadership and transformation for the masses” as far as I can.

My question to you is this: Who are YOU following?  Do you have  mentors that have “fruit on the tree” in areas you are pursuing?  Are you humble enough to buy-in to another person’s vision?  Are you willing to follow their example long enough for you to develop your own extension of that vision — your own belief & commitment?  I have!

Godspeed on your journey to reach new heights of excellence in 2013!  Matt

This entry was posted in Family, Following, Friends and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Leadership Guru in the Making – Dan Hawkins

1. Thank you Matt for all of the kind words. God has big plans for you, keep growing and leading, you are making a difference!

That is so exciting!! I love hearing about people’s leadership journeys. Especially the seemingly insignificant parts because usually those are the parts that mean the most to the person. You and Dan have conquered so many struggles already. Thanks for teachinf me perseverance and to keep on keeping on. I pray God grants you more struggles to overcome because that means he believes you are becoming the person he has challenged you to be!! Keep on keeping on Matt!!

Thanks kristina. I’m not sure I want the struggles (Lol) but I have faith He will give me nothing I can’t handle – i think 😉

• Miriam says:

The Hawkins inspire the same confidence in my leadership journey! On top of public accolades, the way Lisa supports Dan is incredible and gives me an example to follow in my own marriage!

3. Well Matt, I am one of your three 😉 readers. You always provide world class information in a easily understandable way. You have a great teacher through Dan Hawkins! Your style almost directly reflects Dan’s. Thank you for your servant leadership Matt.
    Jeremy Pethke

4. Fired up!! You are truly a reflection of Dan’s influence &I don’t doubt your blog too will be on this list & many other leadership lists in the near future. Merry Christmas & God Bless you &your family!

5. rascal4life says:

3 readers? Pshh! I see 4 previous comments and now there’s a 5th. 🙂 It won’t be long before you and so many of the other LIFE leaders dominate every leadership list that’s out there! So excited for 2013!!!

6. Eric Rosenow says:

It’s all about the dream baby! What do you want and what do I have to do to get it. It is all the behind the scenes stuff that makes us who we are. Personal discipline will give us out public victories.

7. Charles Jaeger says:

Your total number of readers has doubled to 6 now! Haha! great post Matt!

8. John Vroman says:

Matt, that must make me you’re lucky #7 reader. I’ve been very impressed with your leadership and passion for helping people improve their lives. Keep up the great work!!

9. Miriam says:

I am following you and Michelle! Thank you for your never ending growth and willingness to serve!!

10. Eric Schilling says:

I agree Matt… The train of leadership that we are following is going places!

11. Jimmy Brown says:

Matt , you have been personally a beacon of light to follow in what feels like dark times. I know the Lord will carry me through these trying times and has positioned you and Michelle right where you can serve His purposes the most. Keep planting foot steps in the sand for all to follow , your a tremendous leader and I know you will inspire me more & more each day to be the best I can be .

12. Miriam says:

It is incredible to watch our mentors have the humility to grow more than they already have! You and Michelle surely are exemplifying that each day!