Sticks and Stones and Other Things

“…The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart…”  1 Samuel 16:7

Recently, my wife and I attended a 2 hour parenting seminar at our church from author Jonathan McKee, founder of www.thesource4parents.com, an exceptional resource for parenting in today’s complex age.  Jonathan is a cultural expert and has exceptional insight into today’s tech savvy youth and how we as parents need to pick up our game or risk loosing our kids to the “world.”

On one of his blogs, Jonathan posted an incredible YouTube video that has gone viral on the internet on the topic of bullying and self-image.

How many people do you think are effected, either from their past or currently, from bullying, name calling, or being made fun of?  My guess it’s in the billions.

Watch the poetic video below, I believe we can all relate.

The problem is enormous and the cost to society is immeasurable.  How do we combat it?  The more I think about it, the harder it gets to think of anything worthwhile to say.

I believe it is a heart issue.  It stems from the constant media stream of self-absorbed cultural pragmatism.  We are conditioned to see others as objects and not people with feelings and a fragile ego.  The irony of today’s media message is the best way to feel good about yourself is to make others feel bad about themselves.

Well I believe we can change that message.  Let’s start by listening to a great song sung by Britt Nicole.

You were walking on the moon, now you’re feeling low
What they said wasn’t true, you’re beautiful
Sticks and stones break your bones, I know what you’re feeling
words like those won’t steal your glow, you’re one in a million

This, this is for all the girls, and boys all over the world
whatever you’ve been told, you’re worth more than gold
so hold your head up high, it’s your time to shine
from the inside it shows, you’re worth more than gold
(gold gold, you’re gold)
You’re worth more than gold
(gold gold you’re gold)

Well everybody keeps score, afraid you’re gonna lose
just ignore they don’t know the real you
all the rain in the sky can’t put out your fire
of all the stars out tonight, you shine brighter

This, this is for all the girls, and boys all over the world
whatever you’ve been told, you’re worth more than gold
so hold your head up high, it’s your time to shine
from the inside it shows, you’re worth more than gold
(gold gold, you’re gold)
You’re worth more than gold
(gold gold you’re gold)

So don’t let anybody tell you that you’re not loved
and don’t let anybody tell you that you’re not enough
yeah there are days that we all feel like we are messed up
but the truth is that we’re all diamonds in the rough
so don’t be ashamed to wear your crown
you’re a king you’re a queen inside and out
you glow like the moon, you shine like the stars
this is for you, wherever you are

Oh, oh, yeah, yeah, oh, oh,
you’re gold

This, this is for all the girls, and boys all over the world
whatever you’ve been told, you’re worth more than gold
(so hold your head up high) so hold your head up high,
it’s your time to shine
from the inside it shows, you’re worth more than gold
(gold gold, you’re gold)
You’re worth more than gold
(gold gold you’re gold)

So don’t be ashamed to wear your crown
you’re a king you’re a queen inside and out

Songwriter(s):Daniel Muckala, Jess Cates

Other things we can do:

• Find a GREAT church; one that encourages you to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
  • Find a group of people who are positive and accepting.  I recommend the LIFE leadership and personal development communities that are springing up all over North America.
  • Actively pray for a friend that you can share your thoughts and feelings with and they’ll listen without judgement but with compassion and empathy.
  • Become the friend you want others to be, try to take the focus off of yourself and focus on serving others.

Here’s to a better tomorrow.  Find a stranger, or friend, and look for something good to share with them.  Who knows, you may do more than just  save their day, you may save their life – literally.

Feel free to share in the comments section below a story of people who poured into your life positively, or, how you have invested in someone else in a positive way.

May God richly bless your day.  Matt

This entry was posted in Faith, Family, Friends, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Sticks and Stones and Other Things

1. Dave Hall says:

I know you weren’t “fishing” but, honestly, Matt, the first people that came to mind were you and Michelle. You have selflessly poured yourselves into me and my family for years now and I have watched you do the same for many others. This is a sincere thank you from my heart to yours.

Thanks Dave. I am blessed beyond description by your friendship and example. Your fight to do what’s right in the face of tremendous adversity is legendary. Thank you Dave! Matt

2. Awesome post Matt and so true! While the entire life community has influenced me in a positive way I have to say Dave Chatmon is the person who never gave up on me when everyone else did. He is the type of person who literally saves lives because he cares so much. I see that same quality in you and Michelle and it inspires me beyond words. I pray I can be that for someone else someday. Thank you modeling this love for people!

Kristen, you are that person. Your heart to pay forward what Dave invested in you is apparent in your leadership. May God continue to bless your community. matt

3. Joshua says:

Could i use ur video to this day for a lectures it was awsome

4. Dorly Dahlke says:

Wow! Thank you Matt for sharing. Gods Blessings!

5. Harry Pavlos says:

Matt, thank you for sharing. It takes great courage and integrity to step out and defend those billions that are being bullied or being made fun of and what we all have to realize is at one point or another, is that we all are part of those billions. Thank you for being a man of courage and integrity and inspiring others to do the same! God bless you too!

6. Alicia johanning says:

Hey Matt this is great blog. It brought up passed struggles I went through as a child but have been healed of over time. I was bullied as a child and it was before it was ok to talk about it. It forms you as a person and cuts deep. The LIFE community has help heal these scars through personal development and association I couldn’t agree more with you that finding a good church helps but even more finding a relationship with our creator. Anything I can do, even as a single to help fight against bullying, I will do. Starting with love and encouragement! Alicia 🙂

7. Dawn Andermann says:

Wow! Great message, Matt! And much needed as I see the effects of bullying in the school I teach in. I am going to share the bullying video with our fifth graders. We just finished the chapter in Success for teens on attitude. This would fit in! Thanks for sharing!!

8. moonnstarz4u says:

I am a parent who lost my child to peer abuse driven bullycide. We have many parents who are working extremely hard to bring awareness to this dire epidemic. I am sure you and your followers would be quite surprised to know how many “children” and “teenagers” are suffering and have taken their lives because of the continuous torment they endured. The Federally funded schools, the police and most communities shun these kids and their families when they come forward for help. We have lost thousands of children as young as nine to Peer Abuse Driven Bullycide. People still use the term “kids being kids.” That phrase is so far from the truth, it hurts my heart. I will leave you with a quote from a renowned psychologist that understands the ramifications of peer abuse- whether it is physical,or psychological. Cyber harassment is out of control as well.

“the brain is the last organ of the body to become anatomically mature, not reaching its final form until the mid-20s. And the circuits for emotional and social skills, including impulse control, are the very last to mature.

During the ages that bullying is frequent, the brain’s circuitry for emotional impulse outstrips the development of the “executive centers” where good sense, patience, and maturity reside. Most critically, the strip of circuits that can stop, think through consequences, and “just say no” to impulse are still immature.” Daniel Jay Goleman is an author, psychologist, and science journalist. For twelve years, he wrote for The New York Times, specializing in psychology and brain sciences.

9. moonnstarz4u says:

“The brain is the last organ of the body to become anatomically mature, not reaching its final form until the mid-20s. And the circuits for emotional and social skills, including impulse control, are the very last to mature.

My heart pains for your loss. Thank you for sharing. My wife and I have committed our lives to spread a message of grace, love, and serving others as the primary example we should give our children.

10. Josh Meinel says:

Great post Matt! I’m with Dave Hall on this one 🙂 Thanks for being the best example of always building others up. I know most people who might have met the way we did would not have seen me as a worthy relationship to invest in. But you’ve taken the time for years now to support and encourage Kristina and me. Thank you for your friendship.

11. Nate Kuhl says:

Hey Matt! A few that come to my mind when thinking about this are my parents, who have always believed in and supported me the best they could, Josh and Kristina, who are always such accepters and encouragers to me and make me aware of things I don’t see for myself about me, Eric and Miriam for always seeing the better vision of what I am and can be, and you and Michelle, who are the kindest, most gracious, best investors in people that I have ever met.
    And, of course, there is Ashley. God blessed me more than I know with her. She sees things in me and believes so much in me and I have no idea where she gets these ideas but I am so very blessed.

12. Thank you Matt for this post! I finally had the time to come on and watch the video… very moving. The sad part is that that is happening all too much in todays world. You hear about school shootings, and suicides, and all kinds of other morally wrong things going on. Thank God there is a group of men and women standing up and fighting the good fight and standing on principles! A group of men and women who are going to turn that current of moral decline back around and literally create a leadership factory for this country’s future. We will be creating leaders who stand on principle, not on position. Exactly what culture today seems to be lacking.
    Thank you for your servant leadership and thank you for traveling up to Neenah this last week. It is always a blessing to hear your message!
    God Bless

13. betz01 says:

Thank you for your post Matt. We have three children now in public school and they deal daily with bullying. It has been because of the Life Team information that we have been able to equip them with tools to handle these experiences.

I pray your example and the strength from the holy spirit build God fearing and faith living children. Nothing can come between the love God has for your children, no words or actions can ever take that love away.

14. Hey Matt, this video was recently shared with me and it totally made me think of your post. Very powerful stuff! Thanks for spreading the message. (p.s.there is one naughty word but it can be overlooked because the message is powerful)
    ~The Most Beautiful Way to Stop a Bully I’ve Ever Seen~